Banks (1999) described the following as characteristics of multicultural schools
1. The teachers and school administrators have high expectations
all students and positive attitudes toward them. They also
respond to them
in positive and caring ways.
2. The formalized curriculum reflects the experiences, cultures,
perspectives of a range of cultural and ethnic groups as
well as of both
3. The teaching styles used by the teachers match the learning,
cultural, and motivational styles of the students.
4. The teachers and administrators show respect for the students'
languages and dialects.
5. The instructional materials used in the school show events,
situations, and concepts from the perspectives of a range of
and racial groups.
6. The assessment and testing procedures used in the school are
culturally sensitive and result in students of color being
proportionately in classes for the gifted and
7. The school culture and the hidden curriculum reflect cultural
8. The school counselors have high expectations for students
different racial, ethnic, and language groups and help
these students to set and
realize positive career goals.